2019 Coach Apprenticeship Program
2019 Coach Apprenticeship Skate Canada: Alberta-NWT/Nunavut will be offering its first Coach Apprenticeship Program in conjunction with this year’s Skate Canada Challenge in Edmonton, Nov. 28 – Dec. 2, 2018. At this event, athletes will be qualifying for the Canadian Tire National Skating Championships in Saint John, N.B. January 14-20, 2019.
Coaches are integral in the development of athletes and as such, continued development is fundamental to succeed in this role. Facilitated by individuals with World/Olympic experience and featuring various guest speakers, content will include competition planning, mental and physical readiness, strategies and tactics, program components and grades of execution, coach preparation for competition, technical discussion while observing several practices and events and so much more!
A total of 20 coaches will be selected to participate in this exclusive professional development opportunity.
- Mentor and develop future coaches.
- Provide a unique and interactive learning opportunity to help develop specialized leadership and motivational skills
- Establish an environment for nurturing coaches and with enhanced learning opportunities
- Coaches that will participate in this program will obtain professional development points in their Locker for maintenance of NCCP certification purposes.
- Two days covering pre-novice-junior events in singles, pair skating, and ice dance (Days to be determined later)
- Learning environment will include large and small group discussions during practices, events, and in a meeting room as well
- At the rink, all participants and facilitators will be connected to a headset system to offer best-in-class audio experience and quality discussions
Program Application Criteria and Process:
- Coach criteria: Registered Professional Coach in good standing, with an NCCP provincial trained or higher status, who is actively coaching competitive figure skaters preferably at the pre-novice and higher level, and has the desire and drive to coach at Nationals.
- Deadline: Interested coaches who meet the criteria should apply by Thursday, November 15, 2018
- Click here for application form
- Selected coaches will pay a $75 participant fee that will include an on-site accreditation pass for viewing all practices and events, on-site transportation for participants staying at the host event hotel, and all facilitator and guest speaker expenses.
- Selected participants will need to book and cover their own travel and living expenses. Skate Canada will offer rooming arrangements for participants interested in sharing expenses for a hotel room.
Direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org